Inari with Tofu Puffs
Inari or inarizushi is a traditional Japanese dish typically consisting of fried tofu pouches filled with sushi rice, and sometimes other toppings. The points of the tofu pockets are believed to resemble fox ears after the Shinto god Inari’s messengers!
· 2 cups sushi rice, or medium grain rice
· 10 tofu puffs
· 2 sheets nori, shredded OR vegan furikake
· 2 tbsp rice vinegar, or sushi vinegar
· 1 tsp sugar
1. Cook the rice as per the instructions on the packet
2. Drain the rice and allow to cool to room temperature.
3. Mix in the vinegar, sugar and seaweed or furikake.
4. Cut the puffed tofu in half and stuff with the rice mixture.
5. Serve with soy sauce, pickled ginger or seaweed salad if desired.